I have been excitedly waiting to share this with you, but since it was a BIRTHDAY present for my wonderful hubby and I know he reads this, I had to keep it a secret!
The birthday boy had mentioned a while back that he needed a clock in
the garage his shop, and I was more than happy to supply one!
In case you don’t know, my husband is a
nerd math teacher. He already has two math clocks, this being one of them:
So I thought it’d be fun to do something in the same genre, but obviously different than the ones he already has.
Insert THIS clock.
I thought about just buying it, but where’s the fun in that??
Plus, it would cost me upwards of $30..for a clock..made out of plastic.
My version cost me $8.
I saw this clock at a dollar general store and knew I could transform it. You can’t really tell from this picture, but it’s bigger than the average clock which I thought would be good for the garage.
When I got it home I unscrewed the back and took it apart so that I could change the face of the clock.
**Disclaimer: When you buy a clock from the dollar store make sure it works BEFORE taking it apart. I tested it in the middle of this process and then freaked out when the second hand didn’t work. Thankfully I was able to tighten it and it all worked out.**
Then I found a template for a circle that would fit over the existing face.
Yup, it’s a pot lid. If I had a compass I would have used that, but no such luck. Whatever works, right?
Plus, I couldn’t ask the mister for one because then he’d be clued in that I was making something. Total surprise was the goal.
I used scrapbook paper since it was a little sturdier
and was the biggest paper I had.
I found the center of the circle (on my second try..lol), poked/cut a small hole there, and then cut a line from the center to the outside. This way I could slip the “face” around the clock mechanism over the existing face, and then just glue it down.
I then wrote out all the equations for the “numbers”.
I made sure it was lined up with where the old numbers were.
I used some handy owl stickers as placeholders. 🙂
Since my new face was a little smaller than the old one there was a little of the old face that showed, so I colored that in with black marker.
Then I modpodged it in place and to seal it, put it back together, and viola!
Yes, there is an air bubble in the middle. *sigh*
Mod podge can be your best friend or your worst enemy
and often it is the latter for me.
I will mention that as I was trying to finish up(before the future birthday boy got home) that was when baby girl woke up and was not happy,
so I was a little hurried.
Still, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.
I’m writing this post early so I’ll have to let you know how he liked it, too.